So testing my plan on recycling a plastic bottle for the lenses for my instrument panel, I retrieved one of the bottles from the camper that the handle had broken off. (Aside: We don’t usually buy bottled water but we did build the campervan unit to hold 4 of these bottles as our water storage. They’re readily available and not too greedy if when you’re “wild camping” to ask someone to fill it up for you.)
Back to the boat:
Using the cracked lens as a template, a Sharpie and the curved “shoulders” of the bottle to give it some shape I set about cutting out the new lenses. Use Her scissors if she’s not watching, quickly swap to Swiss Army pen knife if She turns up unexpectedly!
Here it is in place: Hard to photograph..
But compare it to before:
The top right is the replaced lens just in case you need it pointing out!
Currently the rims have been repainted Satin Black to try and freshen it up. Painting is traditionally my downfall. Historically, my impatience to put it all back together usually results in at least one finger print pressed into every project. (Campervan is a veritable CSI Field Trip for Finger Print collection!)
Update: Rims and new/recycled plastic lenses:
Next it’s back to building the box and trying to come up with a better way of weatherproofing the box. I can’t actually think of anything better than the previous owner’s solution:
I’m tempted to just redo it with a clean bit of perspex, with the instruments closer to the perspex so that the key protrudes though the hole. A thin bit of flexible clear plastic, glued above the holes like a “rain curtain” might be an option to stop the scratches caused by turning the covers as they are currently. And with the key protruding, I won’t need the rusty pair of pliers to be able to turn it on.
Though if it sticks out too far it might prove a bit of a pain in the back for anyone sitting in the cockpit in front of it.