You’ll remember from part 1 that the v-berth was claustrophobic and poorly insulated and our plan was to insulate with some PE foam and paint to an aesthetically pleasing colour.
Well I took a few days off work to try and make some progress on the v-berth. Much slower than I imagined it would be! Working on a boat takes so much longer than even normal DIY.
Someone sometime working out some complex finances? I like to think it was scrawling from when the boat was originally built but it could have been anytime in the last 40 years I suppose:
I managed to forget that I needed the wires for the LED to go behind the foam:
Eventually it was all foamed up! Time for some paint:
The first coat was disheartening – I was beginning to think that it looked better grey! At least Free would be in good company!
But a few more coats and Free now looks like this:
Still plenty more to do to complete the v-berth though.
A trim around the arch companionway to tidy and protect the foam edge. A trim around the square hatch above for the same reasons.
Some switches for the new lights.
Complete the anchor chain locker access flap. This was attached to a bit of flimsy ply when we took it apart.
I do wonder about the longevity and suitability of PE foam for this project already…
Twice I managed to slip with a screwdriver putting the shelf boards up and twice stabbed straight through the foam.
Time will tell.
Costs so far:
Probably about 10sqm of foam @ £3.60/sqm = £36
3 tins of paint @ £13 a tin = £39
3 tins of spray adhesive @ £6 = £18
2 LEDs @ £5 each = £10
TOTAL = £103
My main concern now is that in a nicely insulated cocoon we have two massive chunks of metal portlights straight through the hull acting as Condensation Magnets right above our heads!